Jerk Rice and Beans with Fried Plantains - Intermediate
Jerk Rice and Beans with Fried Plantains
This is by no means a traditional recipe. This is my own take on the Rice and Peas typically found in the Caribbean. You can use Kidney beans but i really enjoy the flavor of black beans more. Toss in some fried plantains and this is a wonderful vegetarian dish that is warm and hearty!
Rice and Beans Ingredients:
1 cup dried black beans soaked and rinsed
3 cups water
1 diced medium onion
5 diced sweet peppers (can sub one diced bell if you needed)
2 scallions chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
2 tbsp Jamaican Jerk sauce (you can add a diced habanero or scotch bonnet in there too for some additional heat)
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp clove
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger (fresh or powder)
2 cups rice
2 plantains - peeled and sliced diagonally
1 cup high heat oil
1. Soak the black beans in cold water overnight or 6-8 hours. When you are ready to cook, strain and rinse them off.
2. Put the beans and water in a large pot, bring them to a boil. Once it is boiling, stir in the rest of your ingredients for the rice and beans. Place the heat at a nice bubbling simmer and cover. You'll probably have to adjust the temp and monitor it over time to make sure it stays consistent. Keep it at a simmer for 60-90 minutes until beans are soft.
3. Once the beans are soft add the rice to the mix, keeping it covered and at a simmer for an additional 30 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
4. During this 30 minutes, place your oil in frying pan and heat it to medium.
5. Place the plantains in the oil for 2-3 minutes a side, flip and repeat until golden brown. Season them to taste (salt and pepper is usually fine) right after being pulled from the oil.
6. Sever it all together with some additional Jamaican Jerk sauce on top and enjoy!