Habanero Shrimp & Cheddar Grits
HABANERO SHRIMP & CHEDDAR GRITS
I absolutely love shrimp. This combo of slightly sweet and savory flavors is a perfect compliment to the warmer weather. There are several different ways to make this (grill vs skillet, homemade vs instant grits, cook or marinate). For this one, I made the shrimp in a skillet, simmering the shrimp in the sauce. I also went homemade grits and shredded smoked cheddar cheese. Then drizzled the Honey Garlic Habanero sauce over it for the finishing touch.
Ingredients for Shrimp/Sauce
- 1 lb shrimp (you have to peel/devein)
- 2 oz bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of Honey Garlic Habanero Sauce
Ingredients for Grits
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup of regular grits
- 1/2 stick butter
- sprinkle of Tony Cs
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a smoked cheddar, but feel free to experiment!)
1. Get the grits going by bringing the water, milk, butter and seasoning to a boil. Pour in the grits slowly to avoid clumping. You can also use a whisk to help with that. These will need to cook for 15 minutes
2. While the grits are cooking, melt the 1/2 stick of butter into a skillet.
3. Mix the Honey Garlic Habanero sauce, brown sugar and bourbon in a small bowl. Pour into the skillet when the butter melts.
4. Add the shrimp and cook the shrimp in the sauce until the shrimp have turned white (usually around 7-10 minutes on medium heat)
5. Once the shrimp have turned white, bring the skillet to low heat and let it simmer in the sauce until the grits are done.
6. When the grits are done, mix the cheddar cheese in until melted.
7. Serve the shrimp over grits and drizzle with some Honey Garlic Habanero sauce to finish it off.